Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trial and Error

After spending the last two days in class, re-learning how to sit still, I felt the urge to make something.  Funny how the make-something-urges don't hit me until about 9pm.  Tonight I got a double-dose of MSU.  The first was to bake some banana muffins with the black bananas in my fridge.  The batter was perfect.  I even added some cocoa powder and chocolate chips.  Yum.  Too bad I haven't figured out my oven yet.  The first batch was completely inedible.  The second was only slightly better.  Two batches of trial.  Lots of error.  Yuck.


The second MSU was in response to my super-heavy living room door that won't stay open.  I've been wanting to make a doorstop for it since I moved in, but I hadn't mustered the guts to figure out how to make what I wanted.  Until tonight, that is.  It took a bit of time (especially since I had to keep messing with the muffins) and there was lots of trial.  Luckily, there was only an insignificant amount of error. 


The biggest trial: figuring out how to add a zipper into one of the seams.


The idea was to put a bag of flour inside.  Unfortunately, the bag wouldn't fit through the zipper.  So I poured the flour into a Ziplock instead. 


Hey... it works!  And it's way more attractive than the piece of folded cardboard I've been using for the past month.


At least one of the MSU's was a success.  Now I can enjoy that good kind of sleep that follows creative accomplishment.  Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the doorstop. Looks cool. Sorry about the muffins.

    ReplyDelete