Friday, October 7, 2011

Cafe Thursday

Like I mentioned in this post, Amy and I meet for coffee (almost) every Thursday morning.  In an effort to prevent getting stuck-in-a-rut, we decided to seize the opportunity to find the best cafe in city centre (notice the Irish spelling?).  So we're trying out a new coffeehouse every week.

Yesterday, we went to Starbucks.  Boring, I know.  Not at all Irish.  Or unique.  But sometimes the comfort of something Familiar is just as satisfying as the adventure of something New.  The last four months have been a whirlwind of New.  New country.  New home.  New school.  New friends.  New streets.  New culture.  Not to mention all the things that aren't New, just Different.  Different weather.  Different money.  Different traffic.  Different English.

All the New and Different takes its toll.  Recently, I've been aching for Familiar.  Watching the baseball playoffs is almost Familiar.  But watching them alone is New.  Watching them from Ireland is New.  Being around people who don't-even-know-what-baseball-is is New.  All that makes celebrating with the Rangers less Familiar and more Different.  And leaves me wanting.

Until yesterday, when I found something completely Familiar.  Starbucks.  Once Amy and I were tucked away in the comfortable chairs in the corner, all the New and Different disappeared.  We were surrounded by all-things-Familiar.  Familiar smells.  Familiar music.  Familiar triple grande soy latte in my Familiar see-thru tumbler.  Even the comfortable chairs in the corner were Familiar.  It was the perfect allusion of Home.

Next week we'll go somewhere New... I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment